We, along with our partners, are also committed to finding solutions to combat the violence that so many youths have experienced, in part by providing students with safe, supportive environments so they may grow and achieve their dreams.
Presentation topics covered at the summit included Mental Health, Teen Parenting, Social Media Impact on Violence, Trauma, Restorative Justice, Social Emotional Learning, Post-Secondary Supports, Mentorship and Job Placement.
We also heard from an Ombudsman student and her parent, regarding her personal experience with trauma and the support she received from the Ombudsman West team. During the summit, Ombudsman representatives presented awards to several of our community partners for their service to students at our campus (see photo).
We were so pleased with the turnout, as well as the commitment from the community to support the young adults we are all working to serve. Thanks to all contributing partners, honorees, and supporters for a wonderful event!
Contributions to the Summit from our Community Partners:
- Mental Health information and resources presented by summit guest speaker Kate Bowker, Education Program Administrator, of National Alliance
- Teen Parenting services and information presented by Catholic Charities
- Social Media Impact on Violence information presented by CPD & FBI Taskforce members
- Trauma information and services presented by Universal Family Connections
- Restorative Justice information presented by CPD and UFC
- Social Emotional Learning information presented by Audry Blinstrup of Ombudsman
- Post-Secondary Supports presented by City Colleges of Chicago & East West University
- Mentorship and Job Placement services presented by UFC & Youth Outreach Services
Special Thanks to Honorees at the Summit:
- Audry Blinstrup, Ombudsman South Principal, honored for her leadership.
- Michael Wilson, UCAN Supervisor, honored on behalf of the organization for the mental health services they provide.
- Chez Smith, Gyrls in the Hood Foundation, honored for her mentorship to our female students at the OES West Campus.
- Katarzyna Petek, East West University, honored on behalf of the organization for their support of our students in their college pursuits.